[Sticky] Welcome

24 Posts
6 Users
3 Likes
 Joel
Admin
Topic starter
(@joel)

For barking issues, I start with a correction on the prong and either "leave it" or "quiet". When he stops, even if its temporary, I praise, "good quiet." Also, do not pet when he is wound up like this as it encourages the behavior. Having your dog in obedience as a standard practice and not allowing him to move around will increase discipline and help with this.

How old is your dog currently?

5 Replies
 Joel
Admin
(@joel)

Taking him out like you described can be a good practice, but you should be able to get him over the barking the way I described. Worse case, you can get a bark collar for him and use that, but I would start with the drill already mentioned. Additionally, you can set this drill up and have your husband leave and come back in several times and expecting him to be quiet and relatively calm at all times through the process.

Ash
Customer
(@ash)

@joel Our dog is 1 yrs old. I have been using the 'leave it' command when he starts to tense and avoid petting him, so i'm glad I'm doing it correctly. I will have try the practice you mentioned with my husband walking in and out. I think our boy is just very stubborn, unfortunately, so we will have to just out-stubborn him.

Also, we tried the bark collar but it had no affect.

Joel
Admin
(@joel)

@ash how are things going with the training? When you are using a bark collar, it has to be on tight enough that the probes rest directly against the skin and the hair is not insulating them. Also, the box typically has to be positioned at the bottom of the neck where the vocal chords are so that they can detect the barking. I look forward to hearing how things are going.

Ash
Customer
(@ash)

@joel Hello, thanks for checking in. We’re still struggling with the barking. I’ve tried and returned a few bark collars that don’t fit him correctly or slide off, so I’m still looking for one that works best for him. I’ve also starting to command him to grab his ball when I think someone is coming in just to relieve his tension and give him a different focus while I send him to his crate to wait for them to enter.  Still on the hunt for a better collar so I can better work on a “hush” command. Do you have any recommendations? The prong you recommend last time fits great!

Joel
Admin
(@joel)

@ash the bark collar we use and have had good success with is here on Amazon... https://a.co/d/60drwy9

It is not perfect, but it is a pretty good one. You will have to make it tight enough that it doesn't rotate.

Joel
Admin
Topic starter
(@joel)

With the bark collar, he may be barking through it, but if it is having no effect, you may not have it on him properly. If he has thick fur, you may need to swap the probes for the longer ones, they usually come with shorter and longer sets in box. Also, it needs to be up high just behind the ears and under chin. That’s the voice box location. They need to be pretty tight as well, so that the post picks up the vibration from the bark. But I do try to use the other methods first before I go to a bark collar. 

(@christopher-karsten)

I have a 15m Mal/GSD female that has been crated since she was 2 months. Had a good 4-5 week run of leaving her in our backyard with no major issues(some digging and knocking the pillows off the couch). Yesterday came to find her clawed through a screen window and got inside the house. Did lots of damage and never expected it. Trying to get her back out of the crate while were gone. What changed and how do I get her back to being outside of the crate

4 Replies
 Joel
Admin
(@joel)

@christopher-karsten if this is Sickle, please contact me directly. If this is your other dog, my recommendation is that you start doing crate training during the day when you are home. You may just have to do it on the weekend, or wherever you can fit it into the schedule. If you hear her scratching or making noise in the crate, correct her and leave. Set the crate up in the house where she can't see you. If you have more details, please let me know.

(@christopher-karsten)

No sir. its for Stella our younger mal that you meet the last time we were there. She crawled into our house through a screen door and freaked out destroying several items in the house. She was fine outside the crate for several weeks but lately we don't trust her. Back in the crate the whole day while were gone as I can't have her destroying our house. 

Sickle is okay in the crate. Cries and whines a bit before I correct here. 

(@christopher-karsten)

No sir. its for Stella our younger mal that you meet the last time we were there. She crawled into our house through a screen door and freaked out destroying several items in the house. She was fine outside the crate for several weeks but lately we don't trust her. Back in the crate the whole day while were gone as I can't have her destroying our house. 

(@christopher-karsten)

(@christopher-karsten)

(@christopher-karsten)

Page 2 / 3
Share: